Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Do you "friend" your children?

When are daughter joined Facebook, she sent both my husband and I a friend request. We talked about what to do about it and decided not to friend her. Honestly at that time, we had no idea the implications of either decision but basically decided that we aren't usually quick to decide and let the request sit in there until it went away. Perhaps we even clicked the ignore button . . .I can't remember. We knew that for sure her mom (my husband's ex-wife) would friend her and I for one certainly didn't want her picture popping up saying have you thought about friending . . .? That would not, in fact, make me think about "friending" her. So, we just let the opportunity slide. When she asked us about it, I said, "Oh, my gosh, I'm not sharing my friends with you . . .then you'll know for sure who my boyfriend is" and let it go. She laughed it off and we went on with life. Tonight, though, sitting in her therapist's office hearing her talk about how we don't trust her, it occured to me that I could show her that, indeed, I do trust her. And, I could do it without ungrounding her. Ungrounding is most definitely her first choice. But I realized that I could actually reach out to her and friend her showing her that I trust her. I raced home to facebook and popped her name into the box . . .twice, and got nothing. What does that mean? That she doesn't exist or she's totally private or she has just selected certain people (her parents) who can't see her at all. The psychology of social media . . .at least I know what we'll be talking about at her next appointment.

No comments:

Post a Comment